12.30.2006

Well Played Oh Wealthy Ones!

I love the weather in San Diego...as do the five bazillion tourists who visit my fine city annually. In my travails today, I tripped across something that I had never taken notice of beofre. People who have lots of money, or want you to think they have lots of money, kind of dress like shit. It looked like they were all trying to hide the fact that they are loaded by dressing like hobos. Problem: Staying at The Del and arriving in a Mercedes blows your cover oh master of the masquerade!

I helped a friend of mine today coordinate a wedding at what is probably San Diego's most well known, and swankiest, hotels. It is expensive to stay there, historic and cool looking and just in my few hours there I saw Bentleys, Benzes, Beamers, Porsches, Hummers and countless chauffered town cars and limos. Not too shabby.

So explain to me this, why was everyone dressed like a bunch of assholes? When did leg warmers come back into style? How about gold lame fabrics that just look like gold foil? Did I miss the memo that stated rolling out of bed and not brushing your hair was chic? What the hell is the attraction with stirrup pants? 4 size too large sweaters? Dresses worn with pants? Fake CZ jewelry from HSN or QVC trying to pass for the real deal? Tight ass fitted jeans? I could go on and on...

I read Cosmo and Readers Digest...I know what looks good. I may not emulate it...but I self parked my 2003 Saturn today and I wore my favorite Target shoes with a pair of Kohls pants. This was a deplorable array of fashion that was forced upon my retinas and I am truly disgusted. I think maybe in 2007, I will start lobbying for a fashion policing organization that forces the wealthy to stop shopping at trendy little boutiques where the employees are paid on commission and insist everything you try on looks "absolutely hot on you" and instead force Nordstroms, Nine West and Ann Taylor down their throats until they cry out for mercy and promise to burn all of their over priced, made to look like trailer trash without the smell of trailer trash, grungy duds. Who's with me?

3 comments:

Jenny! said...

I'm with you! My favorite expensive fashion trend is the ugly ass Coach bags that have squares of differnt ugly patterns and designs all stiched up into a purse...seriously...who the fuck would pay for that, I have up-chucked things that would look a lot better on a handbag!

Sarah said...

Im with you!

I would like to head up the skinny jeans protest if that is alright with you fashion masta. Like Skinny people need another jean that is made just for them!

Jeanette said...

You need to start reading US Weekly, STAR, and maybe People do truly get a good idea of what's going on in the world. These are all totally fashionable! I'm sad though that you missed people wearing tights with nothing besides a shirt. (Yes you can in fact see through them, but this is what makes them the coolest thing ever!)

And Sarah - had you read these said magazines you would also know that skinny jeans are made for people of any size. You just have to find the right length that works for you (because it's obviously the amount of material that goes up and down and not across that makes a difference). Duh!