12.28.2006

Things to not say when your in-laws are in town...

Let me set the scene for you...

My sister-in-laws (hereon referred to as SIL) birthday was December 21st. My husbands parents came into town for the holiday and we all decided to go to a fun seafood place here in San Diego. In celebration of said birthday, I bought 3 rounds of Scooby Snacks for my SIL, Sarah (sister) and myself. Tasty little treats!

So, the fam eats a fine meal and begins to depart towards the front door. Oddly enough, I was feeling a nice little buzz going and found the crocodile head sticking out of the wall by the front door entertaining (his mouth was holding mint candies I might add). His head reminded me of Peter Pan (you know the story...the crocodile who got Hooks hand).

Insert gratuitous Peter Pan photo here:







Oh dear Mother of Mary and all that is right and holy....






Back on topic! I had just finished telling Sarah that in mid-conversation with my FIL (you figure that one out), I had almost said the word "cock". Don't ask me what the conversation was cause I have been wracking my brain all morning and can't remember.

Me: "Sarah, I almost said cock." Giggle giggle.

Sarah: "Don't say cock."

Within the instant that these words were spoken from her mouth, I turned and saw my MIL reaching into the crocodile mouth to get a piece of candy. Without being able to stop myself I yelled:

"Tick Cock"

If you know the story of Peter Pan, you know that the crocodile had sounded like a clock anytime he came near. How clever was I to blurt out something so hilar...All time stood still and a moment of clarity overcame my right mind. For that one instance, I wondered if anyone had heard me. Then I looked at Sarah and knew instantly that I had been heard as if I was the only voice in the entire County of San Diego as the people awaited in anticipation my grand announcement of free Carne Asade Nachos for all!

Oh if I could have just gotten Happy Gilmore stuck in my head instead of Peter Pan...this could have all been avoided.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

we started with three but then had another, maybe even two more after dinner. Also the twopina coladas you had during dinner. I think these were the main contributors to your experience.

Of course I love it becuase it made me laugh all weekend long any time someone yelled out tick cock!

Jenny! said...

That is great! I love the word cock and there is nothing better than saying it with family around! I once called my sister a cock-sucker in front of our grandma...good thing she has no idea what a cock is!

Jenny! said...

By the way...your kids are adorable...do you want two beagles???

Memo's Mind said...

I would love two beagles...but my marriage would face impending doom if I brought another four legged critter in this house. These three are a handful. Have you not read my list of things TG has destroyed?

Jeanette said...

Fantastic! Blame it on the Scooby snacks. You're already married in, and the ils have already passed judgement. I say blurt out any explicit language whenever you feel necessary.