7.23.2005

Chicago #2

I know I have been home from my adventures in Chicago for 4 days now...but I didn't have an opportunity to blog about the rest of our adventures. So, I figured "Better late than Never"!

#1 - Sarah and I went to Millenium Park. Very cool and kind of odd looking. You will have to depend on Sarah to supply some of the pictures (her camera and all)! On our way out of the park and over to her school (Art Institute of Chicago), she took me through all of these wonderful gardens (where I began to sneeze my ass off). As we were walking under a tall tree, we heard this high pitched screaming...and a gigantic screaming "Banshee Bee" came flying right at us! Sarah and I (because we are so brave) took a few steps backwards and screamed back at it! Eventually, we snuck around the bee...and then Sarah had two mating butterflies fly right onto her forehead! Kind of grossed her out...but we won't get into the details!

#2 - We all knew that this would have to happen at some point with Sarah and I...but she took me to a museum! Can we say Snoreville! It actually turned out to be pretty interesting. We went to the Toulouse-Letrec exhibit which was awesome. I learned that Sarah is a huge museum snob and that you should never lean on the glass (museum security didn't seem to care but Sarah got pissed!). He died when he was only 36...but my goodness he painted a lot! Very cool and I highly recommend it to anyone going to Chicago between now and October. Then she took me into the regular museum and we saw Picasso, and Monet and all sorts of other famous dead guys (and Georgia O'Keefe). To be that close to the real deal...very awesome. After looking at the classics, Sarah took me into some of the more modern stuff. I believe she called this "throwing me in the deep end". After looking at a series of paintings by Monet where he painted the same hut in 8 different paintings and each one looked like a completely different time of day....then she has me look at a big black canvas with a red stripe down the left side. They just don't seem to compare! I believe my last words before we left the museum were "Art makes me feel dumb!".

#3 - After "Art made me feel dumb", we took an awesome cruise through the city and saw like 20 or 25 (well we saw more than that...but they talked about these specifically) of the buildings in Downtown. The docent (I was paying attention Sarah!) explained the interesting architectural points and gave us quite a bit of history on how Downtown Chicago came into being. I believe that she said Chicago actually means big smelly onion! Can't argue with that! It was one of the coolest things we did while I was there (and I mean that as both fun and temperature wise!)

#4 - Once the boat trip ended, we made our way to Michigan Avenue. Sarah said it was only a two block walk from Navy Pier to shop. 5 1/2 blocks later...we arrived. While on our trek...I was attacked by a little green fly that apparently thought I tasted pretty good. He kept biting my leg (4 times). Eventually, I got away from him....but I htink he showed up the next day in Forest Park outside of the funeral home. Anway...shoppping on Michigan Avenue - It's pretty cool! And...I just found out today that J Lo plans on opening her first state side boutique on State Street in September! I can't wait...I'm already looking at Southwest so that I can make the trip! After a spot of shopping, we headed into Oak Park and had some awesome Greek food!

All in all...my trip out there was awesome. We had ice cream everyday I was there! What a great city! Forget the art and the music and the atmosphere...they've got Brown Cow! I would like to take this time to thank Sarah and Audrea for showing me such a fabulous time while there and hopefully the next time we come out JR will be in tow!

Peace.

No comments: